The Grants for Places of Worship programme is for projects that involve urgent structural repairs to public places of worship that are listed at Categories A, B and C.
It is a joint scheme, run by the Heritage Lottery Fund and Historic Scotland. As part of a repair project, we can also fund work to encourage greater community use and engagement. You can apply for a grant from £10,000 to £250,000.
You can read more about Grants for Places of Worship in the application guidance. Your application will have a better chance of success if you read this thoroughly before you apply.
Please note that we have updated our application guidance. This includes new information about staff costs in Section 7: Project costs and applies to all first-round applications submitted from 6 December 2013 onwards.
Grants for Places of Worship projects must achieve the outcomes below:
Outcome for heritage:
With our investment, heritage will be in better condition.
Outcome for communities:
With our investment, more people and a wider range of people will have engaged with heritage.
Grants for Places of Worship applications go through a two-round process. This is so that you can apply at an early stage of planning your project and get help in working out the scope of the work that you need to undertake before you send us your proposals in greater detail.
- At the first round, we assess your application in three months, and then it goes to the next decision meeting
- Your development phase can take up to 12 months, depending on the complexity of your project
- At the second round, we will assess your application in three months and give you a decision
We recommend that you send us a project enquiry form before you apply. Register to submit a project enquiry form.
Decisions are made four times a yearby the HLF Committee for Scotland. Historic Scotland will make decisions on the projects they will support at the same time. Application forms and all supporting documents need to have been received by HLF no later than the following dates:
- 6 June 2014 for the Committee meeting on 16 September 2014
- 29 August 2014 for the Committee meeting on 2 December 2014
- 28 November 2014 for the Committee meeting in March 2015
- 27 February 2015 the Committee meeting in June 2015
- 29 May 2015 the Committee meeting in September 2015
- 21 August 2015 the Committee meeting in December 2015