Heritage Grants is our open programme for any type of project related to the national, regional, or local heritage in the UK. You can apply for a grant of over £100,000.
You can read more about Heritage Grants in the application guidance. Your application will have a better chance of success if you read this thoroughly before you apply.
Please note that we have updated our application guidance. This includes new information about staff costs in Section 7: Project costs and applies to all first-round applications submitted from 6 December 2013 onwards.
Heritage Grants applications go through a two-round process. This is so that you can apply at an early stage of planning your project and get an idea of whether you have a good chance of getting a grant before you send us your proposals in greater detail.
- At the first and second round, we assess your application in three months, and then it goes to the next decision meeting.
- Your development phase can take up to 24 months, depending on the complexity of your project.
We recommend that you send us a project enquiry form before you apply. To do this, register here.
Your grant request determines which decision meeting your application will go to. This is the combined total of your development grant (if applicable) and delivery grant.
Grant requests of over £100,000 and under £2million
Decisions are made by our Committees in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England, which meet every three months. Contact your local HLF office for more information on deadline and meeting dates from April 2013.
Grant requests of £2million and under £5million
Decisions are made every two months by our Board of Trustees. Application forms and all supporting documents need to have been received by HLF no later than the following dates:
- 8 August for the Board meeting on 19 November 2013
- 17 October for the Board meeting on 28 January 2014
- 13 December for the Board meeting on 25 March 2014
- 7 February 2014 for the Board meeting on 20 May 2014
- 11 April 2014 for the Board meeting on 22 July 2014
- 20 June 2014 for the Board meeting on 30 September 2014
- 7 August 2014 for the Board meeting on 18 November 2014
Grant requests of £5million or more
Decisions on first-round applications are made once a year, in April, by our Board of Trustees. Application forms and all supporting materials need to have been received by HLF no later than 30 November.
If you are successful at first-round, then your second-round application may be submitted at any time within two years of the original decision and it will be considered by the Board at the next meeting. The submission dates are the same as for grant requests of £2million and under £5million.