Heritage Enterprise supports enterprising community organisations across the UK to rescue neglected historic buildings and sites and unlock their economic potential.
You can apply for a grant from £100,000 to £5million.
You can read more about Heritage Enterprise in the application guidance. Your application will have a better chance of success if you read this thoroughly before you apply.
Please note that we have updated our application guidance. This includes new information about staff costs in Section 7: Project costs and applies to all first-round applications submitted from 6 December 2013 onwards.
Historic buildings are known to attract thriving businesses, and yet many of them lie vacant and derelict. With a Heritage Enterprise grant you can breathe new life into historic sites by repairing, adapting and giving them a productive new use. By funding much of the repair costs we hope to encourage private developers to work with community organisations to deliver commercially viable schemes.
You can read about the positive impact historic buildings have on the UK’s economy in the newly published research New ideas needs old buildings.
Heritage Enterprise projects should achieve all of the outcomes listed below.
Outcomes for heritage
With our investment, heritage will be:
- better managed
- in better condition
Outcomes for people
With our investment, people will have:
- developed skills
- learn about heritage
Outcomes for communities
With our investment:
- environmental impacts will be reduced
- your local area/community will be a better place to live, work or visit
- your local economy will be boosted
Heritage Enterprise applications go through a two-round process. This is so that you can apply at an early stage of planning your project and get an idea of whether you have a good chance of getting a grant before you send us your proposals in greater detail.
- At the first and second round, we assess your application in three months, and then it goes to the next decision meeting
- Your development phase can take up to 24 months, depending on the complexity of your project
We recommend that you send us a project enquiry form before you apply. Register a project enquiry.
Your grant request determines which decision meeting your application will go to. This is the combined total of your development grant (if applicable) and delivery grant.
Grant requests of over £100,000 and under £2million
Decisions are made by our committees in Northern Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England, which meet every three months. Contact your local HLF office for more information on deadline and meeting dates.
Grant requests of £2million and up to £5million
Decisions are made every two months by our Board of Trustees.
Application forms and all supporting documents need to have been received by HLF no later than the following dates:
- 16 October 2014 for the Board meeting on 27 January 2015
- 11 December 2014 for the Board meeting on 24 March 2015
- 5 February 2015 for the Board meeting on 19 May 2015
- 9 April 2015 for the Board meeting on 21 July 2015
- 18 June 2015 for the Board meeting on 29 September 2015
- 6 August 2015 for the Board meeting on 17 November 2015