The Townscape Heritage programme is for schemes which help communities improve the built historic environment of conservation areas in need of investment across the UK.
We support partnerships of local, regional and national interests that aim to regenerate economically disadvantaged historic areas for the benefit of local residents, workers and visitors.
You can apply for a grant from £100,000 to £2million.
You can read more about Townscape Heritage in the application guidance. Your application will have a better chance of success if you read this thoroughly before you apply.
Please note that we have updated our application guidance. This includes new information about staff costs in Section 7: Project costs and applies to all first-round applications submitted from 6 December 2013 onwards.
Townscape Heritage schemes need to contribute towards all of the eight outcomes listed below.
Outcomes for heritage
With our investment, heritage will be:
- better managed
- in better condition
Outcomes for people
With our investment, people will have:
- developed skills
- Learn about heritage
Outcomes for communities
With our investment:
- environmental impacts will be reduced
- more people and a wider range of people will have engaged with heritage
- your local area/community will be a better place to live, work or visit
- your local economy will be boosted
Townscape Heritage applications go through a two-round process. This is so that you can apply at an early stage of planning your scheme and get an idea of whether you have a good chance of getting a grant before you send us your proposals in greater detail.
- First-round applications and all supporting documents need to be received by HLF no later than 31 August for a decision in January
- Your development phase can take up to 12 months, depending on the complexity of your scheme
- When we receive your second-round submission, we assess it in three months and then it goes to your local Committee for a decision. Local committees meet four times a year, usually in March, June, September and December. Contact your local HLF office for more information on deadline and meeting dates
We recommend that you send us a project enquiry form before you apply. Register a project enquiry.