Historic buildings can attract thriving businesses and boost economic growth. And yet many lie vacant and derelict because of the high costs involved in rescuing them.
Heritage Enterprise can help communities repair derelict historic places, giving them productive new uses. By funding the repair costs and making these buildings commercially viable, we hope to breathe new life into vacant sites. Not-for-profit organisations work with private partners to generate economic growth, and create jobs and opportunities in those places that need it the most.
We’re passionate about the difference our projects make for heritage, people and communities. We take account of the outcomes your project will achieve in our assessment. You can read about these in the application guidance.
Applications go through a two-round process. This is so you can apply at an early stage of planning your project and get an idea of whether you're likely to receive a grant. Then you can send us your detailed proposals. At the first round you can also ask for funding to develop your project.
There are some additional documents we highly recommend you read:
- Management and maintenance plan guidance
- Conservation plan guidance
- Project business plan guidance
- Guidance for HLF appraisers
- Viability and development appraisal guidance
This essential reading can all be found on our Guidance for applying page.
Grant requests over £100,000 and under £2m (including any development funding)
First-round applications are assessed within three months, after which funding decisions are made at the next quarterly decision meeting. To find out when the meetings are, and when you're likely to get a decision, see the application deadlines and funding decisions for your area.
Second-round submissions must be received up to 24 months after the first-round decision. They are also assessed within three months, after which a decision is made at the next quarterly decision meeting for your area.
Grant requests of £2m and under £5m (including any development funding)
We must receive your first-round application and all supporting documents by:
- 18 June 2015 for a decision in September 2015
- 6 August 2015 for a decision in November 2015
- 8 October 2015 for a decision in January 2016
- 10 December 2015 for a decision in March 2016
- 11 February 2016 for a decision in May 2016
- 14 April 2016 for a decision in July 2016
- 16 June 2016 for a decision in September 2016
- 4 August 2016 for a decision in November 2016
The same deadlines apply to second-round applications and supporting documents. These must be received up to 24 months after the first-round decision.