The Heritage Grants programme is for larger heritage projects of any kind. With our help you could set up an archaeological dig, help people learn long-lost traditional skills, look after rare species and habitats, and much more.
Applications go through a two-round process. This is so you can apply at an early stage of planning your project and get an idea of whether it’s likely to be funded. Then you can send us your detailed proposals. At the first round you can also ask for funding to develop your project.
We’re passionate about the difference our projects make for heritage, people and communities. That’s why we assess applications against a set of outcomes. Read about these in the application guidance.
There are some additional documents we highly recommend you read:
- Activity plan guidance
- Management and maintenance plan guidance
- Conservation plan guidance
- Project business plan guidance
This essential reading can all be found on our Guidance for applying page.
Grant requests over £100,000 and under £2million (including development funding)
First-round applications are assessed within three months, after which fundings decisions are made at the next quarterly decision meeting. To find out when the meetings are, and when you're likely to get a decision, see the Application deadlines and funding decisions for your area.
Second-round submissions must be received up to 24 months after the first-round decision. They are also assessed within three months, after which a decision is made at the next quarterly decision meeting for your area.
Grant requests of £2m and under £5m (including any development funding)
First- or second-round applications and all supporting materials must be received by:
- 9 April 2015 for a decision in July 2015
- 18 June 2015 for a decision in September 2015
- 6 August 2015 for a decision in November 2015
- 8 October 2015 for a decision in January 2016
- 10 December 2015 for a decision in March 2016
- 11 February 2016 for a decision in May 2016
- 14 April 2016 for a decision in July 2016
- 16 June 2016 for a decision in September 2016
- 4 August 2016 for a decision in November 2016
Grant requests of £5m and over
First-round applications and all supporting materials must be received by 1 December for a decision in April.
Second-round application and supporting materials must be received by one of the dates set out above for grant requests of £2–£5m. Second-round applications can be submitted up to 24 months after first-round approval.