Parks Alliance takes major step forward thanks to National Lottery grant
The project, called ‘Creating A National Voice for Parks’, will provide the basis for establishing a wider and connected community network of those who support the aims of The Parks Alliance. The HLF grant will enable The Parks Alliance to research best practice membership models and recommend the best membership model to achieve financial sustainability.
Speaking about ‘Creating A National Voice for Parks’, Mark Camley, Chairman of The Parks Alliance, said: “We know how much people value parks as 68 per cent of users consider spending time in their local park essential to their quality of life. This project will take us one step closer to ensuring parks in the UK are enhanced and their contribution to quality of life is protected. It will help all those organisations associated with parks and green spaces to prosper, and all those involved in maintaining and creating parks and green spaces will gain new skills and insight.”
Drew Bennellick, Head of Landscape and Natural Heritage at HLF, said: “Despite a major renaissance, thanks in part to National Lottery investment, parks face an uncertain future. This money will enable The Parks Alliance to take a strategic role in leading the sector through a challenging financial landscape, ensuring parks adapt and thrive.”
The Parks Alliance works to:
- Protect and improve the country’s public parks for future generations
- Increase understanding among national politicians and policy makers of the value of public parks to the current and future quality of life and health in the UK
- Increase understanding among national and local politicians and decision makers that parks are a crucial part of social and physical infrastructure supporting education, flood control, health improvement, social cohesion, wildlife and helping us adapt to climate change
- Secure and boost the existing world-leading skills and expertise delivering UK parks as well as quality training and employment opportunities
- Influence national, regional and local policies and funding decisions that impact on parks
Notes to editors
About The Parks Alliance
The Parks Alliance is the voice of UK parks, representing the people and organisations that create, maintain, invest in and use the public green spaces that we are proud to have at the heart of British life. Its objective is to promote and protect the public parks we are proud to have at the heart of UK life and culture. The UK-wide alliance includes 40 organisations and senior park industry figures from local government parks services, private contractors, industry bodies, NGOs and volunteer and park friends groups.
The Parks Alliance recently launched ‘Park Watch’ - an open call for park testimonials from members of the public - to create a library of useful and informative testimonials outlining the immense value parks have in terms of economic, social, community, environmental and public health benefits. Submissions can be made by visiting the Parks Alliance website.
About the Parks for People programme
The Parks for People programme - HLF and the Big Lottery Fund currently run a targeted parks programme, Parks for People. The programme uses National Lottery funds to support the regeneration, conservation and increased enjoyment of public parks and cemeteries. In England the two Lottery Funds have been working in partnership from 2006 to deliver a multi-million pound investment in public parks of £150m.
Sarah Harrison, email@example.com or 07768 372 892.