Digging deep to secure future of Newcastle’s Mining Institute
Commenting on HLF’s support, Catherine Miller, President of the Institute, said: “We are delighted that HLF is investing in our mission to celebrate an esteemed industrial heritage and our vision for current and future generations”.
The project will secure the Institute’s future, building on its remarkable 165-year heritage and giving it a new focus for the 21st century. Work includes:
“Lying in the heart of Newcastle, this new resource will bring fresh life and energy to the legacy of the North East’s industrial and engineering heritage.”Ivor Crowther, Head of HLF North East
- Restoration of the exterior of the magnificent Grade II* listed Neville Hall
- Showcasing the Institute’s industrial and engineering heritage and the genius of the early pioneers and entrepreneurs whose skill, knowledge and invention were exported around the world
- Digitisation of an archive telling the story of the Industrial Revolution
- Promoting engineering careers and apprenticeships
- Hosting an engaging programme of related events and debates
Ivor Crowther, Head of HLF North East, said: “Lying in the heart of Newcastle, this new resource will bring fresh life and energy to the legacy of the North East’s industrial and engineering heritage. Plans to restore the existing Institute and to create a Common Room for the Region with a programme to illustrate this far-reaching story are already well developed. We look forward to working closely with the Institute over the coming months”.