Young People and Heritage (10 March, 2016)

90 replies [Jump to last post]

Getting young people involved with heritage is one of our priorities at HLF, but what is the best way to go about it?

Join us to discuss the subject in a live chat right here on Thursday 10 March from 12.30-1.30pm.

I'll be joined by Justine McLisky from London's National Portrait Gallery, Kelly Robinson from the Geffrye Museum, James Davies from Llyn Maritime Museum, Nefyn, Rob Bushby from the John Muir Trust, and my HLF colleague, John McMahon. They're all experts in working with (and/or being!) young people, and will share their experience as it relates to the heritage sector, from both organisational and practical points of view.

So please follow along, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

View Amy Freeborn's profile Amy Freeborn Mar 7 2016 - 11:14am
  1. Hello, and welcome to our Online Community live chat.

Today we’ll be discussing all things young people and heritage, and I’m joined by some experts in that field who are on hand to answer my questions, and yours.

Before we get started, a little bit of housekeeping:

• We encourage everyone following along to ask questions at any time, but we may wait until the end of the chat, once we’ve got through our over-arching questions, to answer these.
    • The screen will not automatically update as each comment is posted, so we would encourage you to refresh your screen every 5-10 minutes to see the latest posts. (Hit F5 on your keyboard to refresh)

Now, without further ado, I’ll let my guests introduce themselves.

2. View Amy Freeborn's profile Amy Freeborn
    Offline | Last seen: 2 hours 24 min ago
  3. Hi, I'm John McMahon, and I'm HLF's national Policy Adviser for Learning & Volunteering. Thanks to everyone for joining us today!

4. View John McMahon's profile John McMahon
    Offline | Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
  5. Hello I am Kelly! As the Young People’s and Secondary Schools Manager at the Geffrye Museum I manage the provision for young people aged 11-24. We currently offer young people one off, or long term voluntary, paid and informal engagement opportunities through workshops, creative projects, our youth advisory panel, young consultants and internship programmes. Using the collections and buildings as a starting point we not only offer opportunities for young people but aim to be an organisation that listens to young people and offers them the opportunity to take an active role in the museum. My previous roles include working as the Projects and Ops Coordinator for the learning and engagement team at The Lowry Arts Centre and as a freelance youth worker within, arts, heritage and youth organisations.

6. View Kelly Robinson's profile Kelly Robinson
    Offline | Last seen: 2 years 3 weeks ago
  7. Over the last 7 years, since the age of 17, I have been a volunteer with the Llŷn Maritime museum in Nefyn, North West Wales.  http://www.llyn-maritime-museum.co.uk/ During this time I have become a committee member and trustee. In 2014, the museum reopened thanks to HLF funding. Through my experience with the museum I am now Vice Chairman of MOROL- Institute of Welsh Maritime Historical Studies. I am in my second year of an AHRC CDA PhD studentship research at the Ironbridge Institute, University of Birmingham on Education at World Heritage Sites- How are World Heritage Values communicated within the formal learning process. This follows an Archaeology BA and International Cultural Heritage Management MA from Durham University.

8. View Jamie Davies's profile Jamie Davies
    Offline | Last seen: 7 months 1 day ago
  9. Good afternoon, I'm Rob Bushby from the John Muir Trust

10. View Rob Bushby's profile Rob Bushby
    Offline | Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
  11. I'm Justine McLisky, I've been at the National Portrait Gallery, London, since 2009 as Head of Young People, heading up a team, projects and initiatives engaging 3-21 year olds. Including schools, families and young people 14-21 including our Youth Forum. I'm from a teaching and art practice background, and previously worked in museums and galleries in Australia and New Zealand.

12. View Justine McLisky's profile Justine McLisky
    Offline | Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
  13. First up, a nice general question so that people can understand a bit more about the perspectives you’re all bringing -

What is your experience of involving young people in heritage?

14. View John McMahon's profile John McMahon
    Offline | Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
  15. in reply to

What is your experience of involving young people in heritage?

John McMahon

Just to note that Kelly and Jamie have addressed that in their intros…!

16. View John McMahon's profile John McMahon
    Offline | Last seen: 6 months 3 weeks ago
  17. It’s largely natural heritage focused, but blending with cultural/creative heritage too. (NB it’s good to think of heritage in broad and overlapping terms rather than distinct boxes.)

Running the John Muir Award since 2001, which encourages people to connect with, enjoy, and care for wild places, i.e. natural heritage, has brought me into contact with a lot of inspiring leaders and great organisations working with young people, as well as young folk themselves.

The John Muir Award is for young people of all ages – 90% of participation is with ages 16 and under, but we’ve had folk up to age 100 involved. Over 250,000 people have been achieved an Award, 33,500 last year via 1,200+ diverse organisations. At least 25% of participants are from Inclusion backgrounds – we try to make the scheme as accessible as possible. Prior to that I ran a volunteering charity and was an instructor with Outward Bound in Australia and the Lake District. And my 2 teenage daughters don’t realise they are a ‘young people’ focus group.

18. View Rob Bushby's profile Rob Bushby
    Offline | Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
  19. When I was 17 and in sixth form college I began my Duke of Edinburgh award. My tutor suggested getting in touch with the local museum about any volunteering opportunities given my passion for heritage, history and archaeology and as I wanted to be an archaeologist. I had lived in the same town as the museum for around 5 years, but never visited as it was closed. After getting in touch with a committee member, I was invited to a meeting to hear more about the museum. The museum had been closed for nearly 10 years, but a new group of local volunteers had formed a committee to reopen it. From the moment I walked into the old church with it’s dusty collections covered by old bed sheets, I saw the value and potential and was hooked. Luckily the museum committee could see the value in having me and opportunity after opportunity came about to make a meaningful contribution.Within months I was representing the museum at conferences and developing an exhibition for a BBC roadshow. Within the year I was a committee member and a trustee, as the committee recognised my enthusiasm, passion and young age!

20. View Jamie Davies's profile Jamie Davies