Young People and Heritage (10 March, 2016)

90 replies [Jump to last post]

Getting young people involved with heritage is one of our priorities at HLF, but what is the best way to go about it?

Join us to discuss the subject in a live chat right here on Thursday 10 March from 12.30-1.30pm.

I'll be joined by Justine McLisky from London's National Portrait Gallery, Kelly Robinson from the Geffrye Museum, James Davies from Llyn Maritime Museum, Nefyn, Rob Bushby from the John Muir Trust, and my HLF colleague, John McMahon. They're all experts in working with (and/or being!) young people, and will share their experience as it relates to the heritage sector, from both organisational and practical points of view.

So please follow along, ask questions, and share your own experiences.

View Amy Freeborn's profile Amy Freeborn Mar 7 2016 - 11:14am
  1. I would agree with many of the panels comments that putting trust in the young people is a huge reward in itself,

This is a comment one young person made after being the Social Media Correspondent for Teen Twitter Takeover and having their voice at the heart of the museum, demonstrating trust.

‘The best thing about today and when we have ‘takenover’ before is knowing that we are being trusted by the museum . ‘Cos I know the museum staff are happy that I will do a good job it gives me confidence to do things which I am nervous or scared about. Then when I do the thing I realise I am quite good at it and the museum is right to trust me.’- Quote from youth tweeter at Ancient House Museum

So I think any museum can do this in their own way fitting with their own organisations aims, limitations, budget and capacity.

2. View Catherine Townsend's profile Catherine Townsend
    Offline | Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
  3. Thanks everyone, this has been an interesting and useful chat!

4. View Christine McLean's profile Christine McLean
    Offline | Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
  5. Also, just as we close - a reminder that many of HLF's programmes are open to support work with young people, especially our Young Roots scheme:

As HLF's Chair Sir Peter Luff announced at the Museums Association Conference 2015, this year we'll also be launching a new initiative to support large-scale projects for young people, so keep an eye out for further details on that.

6. View John McMahon's profile John McMahon
    Offline | Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
  7. Digital volunteering - as well as TTTOD (Teen Twitter Takeover Day), there's some great youth-run twitter feeds - check out Whitechapel's 'Duchamp & Sons' youth group who run their own feed, it's very active. And young bloggers/vloggers/instagrammers, there are a lot out there and it's an area we, and other galleries/museums, are interested in. Our 'Youth Crew' I mentioned before film, edit, interview artists and participants for online video banks. I can;t think off the top of my head of a richer/deeper engagement for digital volunteering - would be really interested to hear more examples….

8. View Justine McLisky's profile Justine McLisky
    Offline | Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
  9. Well, that's about all we've got time for today.

Thank you again Justine, Kelly, James, Rob and John for being here with me today and for all your great answers. And thank you to everyone else who offered their own advice, asked questions and followed along.

It was a great chat today, guys!

Please do carry on the conversation, asking questions, sharing your own experiences and resources, and we'll keep chipping in where we can, too.

Our next live chat will be on Thursday 14 April (more on that soon).

Until then, thank you, and goodbye.

10. View Amy Freeborn's profile Amy Freeborn
    Offline | Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
  11. Thank you all, and thanks HLF for opening up this opportunity. Its been fast & furious live typing from me, so I look forward to reading some of the comments and replies in more detail. Let's keep the conversations happening!

12. View Justine McLisky's profile Justine McLisky
    Offline | Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
  13. Many thanks to Justine, Rob, Kelly and Jamie for signing up as our expert panel for today, and to everyone else for your very interesting and helpful questions and comments!

14. View John McMahon's profile John McMahon
    Offline | Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
  15. Thanks everyone too, I have a few handy links open now so I'll go take a read!

If you have any questions for Kids in Museums about our projects or how we can support your heritage or cultural organisations further please do get in touch, getintouch@kidsinmuseums.org.uk or come straight to me on catherine@kidsinmuseums.org.uk

Best / Cofion

Catherine

16. View Catherine Townsend's profile Catherine Townsend
    Offline | Last seen: 2 months 2 weeks ago
  17. Thanks all!  Lovely to see unprompted recommendations of Arts Award and lots of interesting new ideas.

I'm always happy to answer questions about Arts Award and Heritage - caroline.bray@artsaward.org.uk

18. View Caroline Bray's profile Caroline Bray
    Offline | Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
  19. Hi again - here's links to some toolkits mentioned above, which may help with tips on practice, programming and working with youth audiences (apologies for any cross-postings)

'Domino Effect' NEET Photography Project info and toolkit - http://www.npg.org.uk/learning/young-people/domino-effect-neet-photography-project.php

The MLA Youth Forum toolkit I mentioned in a post above - http://cdn-10.create.net/sitefiles/10/5/4/105421/YouthForumToolkit1.pdf

'National Memory, Local Stories' toolkit (a heritage project with digital outcomes, working with regional partners to engage young people around stories and objects in local Collections around the First World War) - http://www.npg.org.uk/whatson/national-memory-local-stories/resources/toolkit.php

Justine