Subscribing to community content
To make sure that you stay updated on the HLF community content that you are interested in, you are automatically subscribed to any discussion that you engage with (ie anything that you reply to or add a comment on), as well as any discussions that you start. This means that every time someone adds a reply or comments on these discussions, you’ll receive an email to let you know, with a link for you to view the new content.
To view and change your existing subscriptions:
- Log in to your HLF account;
- Click on the ‘Subscriptions’ tab underneath the 'My Account' heading;
- Discussions: this shows you the titles of all of the discussions that you currently receive email notifications for. If you want to stop these emails, deselect the tick box next to the one you want to remove;
- Forums: this shows all of the active forums in the HLF community. If you want to subscribe to receive notifications for all new content (not just a discussion that you have participated in), select the tick box next to the forum you want to subscribe to;
- Don’t forget to click the ‘Save’ button at the end of the page to save the changes you make to your subscription settings.
You can also subscribe to forums, discussions, and discussions from particular users whilst in the forums - juts look for the 'Subscriptions' box right below the options to add a new comment to any discussion (scroll right down to the bottom). Here you will see four options to subscribe:
- To this discussion
- To new posts by <the user name who started the discussion>
- To new posts in <the name of the forum you are in>
- To new posts in <the name of the forum you are in> by <the user who started the discussion>
If you wish to subscribe to any of these, simply select the tick box next to the option you want and then click the ‘Save’ button.
Please note that subscription options on posts are only visible if you are logged in to the community.
Email notifications for private messages
You will also receive an email to let you know when someone has sent you a private message through the community (read more about private messages), with a link to read it on the site (note that you will need to be logged in to the community to view your message).
If you do not want to receive emails when someone sends you a private message, follow these steps:
- Click on ‘My account’ at the top of the page (when you are logged in) then 'Edit my profile' in the right-hand navigation;
- Scroll down to the ‘Notifications’ box;
- Deselect the tick box next to 'Receive email notification for incoming private messages;
- Scroll down a little further and click the ‘Edit my account’ button to save the changes.
If you have any other questions about subscriptions or notifications, let me know in the comments below.