Places of worship
Places of worship sit at the very heart of our local communities.
Congregations caring for historic places of worship, of all faiths and denominations, can apply to HLF for funding to support a broad range of projects including capital repair.
- Our Heritage (£10,000-£100,000) can be used to support a great range of projects and organisations, including those who want to repair buildings. The programme is single round. We aim to respond to your application in around eight weeks
- Heritage Grants (£100,000-£5m) can support all types and scales of project. The two-round structure means we can support you in both developing and delivering your proposals
- Resilient Heritage (£3,000-£250,000) can be used by individual organisations or partnerships to help them better manage their heritage. From developing income-generation strategies to feasibility studies in preparation for a larger Heritage Grant application - this can be a great place to start
We’ve been successfully funding places of worship through our open programme for more than 20 years. Projects include the major restoration of York Minster’s Great East Window and conservation of the interior of the Garnethill Synagogue in Glasgow. But we have also been funding smaller places of worship projects through these programmes.
Take a look at projects we’ve already funded:
- St Martin of Tours, Bilborough
- St Matthew's Churchyard, Lightcliffe
- St Martin-in-the-Fields, London
- Christ Church, Great Ayton
- Heritage Silkstone, Barnsley
- St John’s Notting Hill
- St John's, Hoxton
- If you have more questions about applying to HLF for a grant for a place of worship here are some useful frequently asked questions and answers
- This blog from HLF’s Head of Historic Environment also explores how we will be funding places of worship in the future
- You might also like to read the blog on Caring for Divine Heritage. This was written to help Cathedrals understand how to deliver successful projects but the advice holds good for all places of worship – no matter what the scale
- HLF statement - funding for places of worship