Bedford Physical Training College Stories, World War 1 and 2
Making a difference
How the project achieved outcomes for heritage
- The history of Bedford College of Physical Training has been researched and interpreted through a documentary film, which is an important addition to the social and cultural history of Bedford.
How the project achieved outcomes for people
- The core team of volunteers learned new skills, including film making and how to undertake oral histories.
- People in the area have learned about the history of the college by watching the DVD.
- Volunteers that took part felt proud of the film they had developed and the DVD launch and TV coverage led to great excitement amongst those involved.
- Older people who were interviewed felt that their personal memories were valued.
How the project achieved outcomes for communities
- The project has helped to raise the profile of the organisation and its archive which in turn has helped its long-term resilience.
- Local people, including schools pupils, engaged with aspects of the First World War that they had previous not known about.
Find out more about the difference we want your project to make.
- People undertaking the project need to be passionate about the subject but also have the skills to deliver it.
- Having a small team which can make final decisions is really important.