Restoring the Future
Built in 1794 for Holy Trinity Clapham the organ was relocated to St John’s in 1846. Years of economical and restrained repairs and improvements have resulted in the instrument retaining much of its original fabric.
The supporting programme of public engagement ran for the duration of the project. Over 1,000 students from 14 schools visited, taking part in diverse activities covering music, science and history. During Black History Month, students took part in workshops exploring the history of the slave trade and abolitionists.
Twentu young people from a local college produced a short film exploring the organ’s restoration - which is now available online as a permanent record of the project.
A series of sell-out silent film screenings with organ accompaniment were launched during the project and continue to this day. These bring in audiences of over 100 people, raising funds for organ’s maintenance and new equipment.
Whilst the project is now complete, two permanent exhibitions created with the help of volunteers, interpretation and a glass panel exposing the internal workings of the instrument ensure that it continues to engage the local community and visitors.