Community heritage is anything that makes your area unique and worth celebrating. It can be anything from a town’s connection with a historical figure, regional myths and legends, to the history of sports clubs, grounds, and heroes.
Community heritage is often in danger of being forgotten or lost, and with it our sense of belonging and pride in where we live.
European Year of Cultural Heritage in Northern Ireland
New short-term funding is available to help the cultural and heritage sectors in Northern Ireland respond to the opportunities of the European Year of Cultural Heritage 2018.
Here are just some of the things you could do to celebrate the heritage of your community:
“There’s so much you can achieve through a heritage project – from revealing a little-known part of local history to giving people a real sense of belonging.” Annie Brewster, Wheathampstead Heritage Trail
- revive a long-lost tradition or craft
- share forgotten folk tales
- celebrate the lives of people commemorated on a war memorial
- reveal the stories of the area’s diverse groups
- save a historic building from disrepair
- discover the origins of the place where you live
- explore the events that helped to shape it